What is so unique about Canaveral National Seashore
Canaveral National Seashore is underrated compared to many of Florida’s best coastlines, but here’s how to enjoy it.
The US state of Florida is known for many things, from the birthplace of NASCAR racing to the city of Miami, there is plenty to do and see. their food and beaches, and their nickname Sunshine State, to their claim as the “Theme Park Capital of the World.” One of the lesser known parts of Florida is the Canaveral National Seashore. It is an exploration of the Canaveral national coastline and why it is so different from other shores.
Why should tourists visit?
First of all, a question and a bit of definition: what does Canaveral mean? It is not native to America. It’s actually a Spanish word, translated into American English. The word means “Reed Bed” which is an apt descriptor of the seashore. The National Seashore has an incredible green space, where reeds (important for the health of the beaches) both help with the flow of water from the sea. the ocean and aesthetics. It is a great location during the summer months, especially with the activities and events happening throughout the year.
The National Seashore is just a place after all, static and lacking in interactivity, however, there are things to do while there that will guarantee you a good time. Keep in mind, however, that some of these events, while fun, can also be expensive (due to popularity and parking) and / or dangerous. Therefore, caution is in order.
- Witness the launch of a rocket: Florida is not only famous for the Seashore, it is also famous for the Kennedy Space Center, home of NASA. One of the events that occurs on a semi-regular basis is the launch of a rocket. As part of NASA’s endlessly continuing exploration of the stars, there are spaces around the Space Center where citizens and star tourists can come to watch these launches with their own eyes. A unique tourist attraction.
- Take a Hike (a hike on a trail): The space surrounding the National Seashore are trails that weave in, on and around it, perfect for hiking. These trials are part of their HIKE CASTLE program, which promotes a healthy and active lifestyle outdoors. A trail leads to a local tourist spot called “The Mosquito Lagoon”. Fascinating.
- The Night Walk: This one’s for the history fanatics out there. There is a Historic Night Walk that takes place every night of the week, which circles the National Seashore and visits places such as the historic Gaslamp District, which is said to be one of Florida’s oldest neighborhoods. That in itself is reason enough to visit the National Seashore; who doesn’t like history?
There are, of course, costs to visit such a unique and undeveloped and unspoiled piece of Florida and the US coastline, as well as access and availability issues and windows. Depending on the vehicle / transport, the costs will increase or decrease. Fortunately, many places like the National Seashore offer passes, which are priced as follows:
- Bikes: are priced at $ 10 for 7 days
- Motorcycles: are priced at $ 15 for 7 days (and per cycle) • Motorhomes and coaches are priced at $ 10 per person for 7 days • Organizing vehicles (for events) are priced at 100 $ for 7 days
Make sure all costs are factored in before venturing out to the Seashore and other areas of Florida, as costs can start to skyrocket (pun intended) if not carefully considered. account.
Where to stay
At the National Seashore there are many hotels and places to stay overnight, to make the most of the time there. Here is a list of several accommodations, all at affordable prices:
- Best Western Space Shuttle Inn (3 stars): Starting at $ 71 per night | 3.3 miles from Canaveral National Seashore
- Days Inn by Wyndham Titusville Kennedy Space Center (2 stars): Starting at $ 73 per night | 13.7 miles from Canaveral National Seashore
- Hyatt Place Titusville Kennedy Space Center (3 stars): Starting at $ 132 per night | 13.1 miles from Canaveral National Seashore
- Quality Inn Kennedy Space Center (2 stars): Starting at $ 75 per night | 13.7 miles from Canaveral National Seashore
- Ramada by Wyndham Titusville / Kennedy Space Center (3 stars): Starting at $ 76 per night | 13.2 miles from Canaveral National Seashore
- Three Oaks Motel – Titusville (2 stars): Starting at $ 81 per night | 8.9 miles from Canaveral National Seashore
- Extended Stay America Premier Suites – Titusville – Space Center (3 stars): Starting at $ 101 per night | 13.7 miles from Canaveral National Seashore
Whether it’s watching rockets launch into the depths of space or watching boat trips on the waters of the enclave, there is plenty to do at Canaveral National Seashore. It’s no surprise that Florida is winning titles from “Theme Park Capital” to “Home of the Cuban Sandwich”; the food, the festivities and the people are what makes the National Seashore unique. Definitely worth a visit for those who love a unique destination.
NEXT: Harbor Island: Everything You Need To Know About Visiting This Pink Sand Beach From Florida
Here’s what you need to know about the German Autobahn