Fire destroys historic home of family of 14 in Southgate
SOUTHGATE, Mich. (FOX 2) – Terecia Hubbard is still coming to terms with what her family lost, after a suspected electrical fire destroyed their 1895 Georgian home last week.
“We are still in shock,” she said.
Terecia, her husband and 12 of their children were inside the Southgate house when it started.
“I’m just grateful that we all made it because it could have been a disaster,” she said. “It was on fire for 20-30 minutes and we didn’t know anything.”
The photos show what’s left of their home – their belongings have been destroyed, something Terecia is still trying to make clear to their children.
“He said, ‘Mom, I want to come home,'” she said, referring to one of her baby boys. “And I said, ‘Well, we can’t go home. I was like, ‘What are you trying to achieve?’ And he said, ‘I’m trying to get my backpack, my shoes, my stuff.’ They have nothing right now and they don’t understand how much we’ve lost everything.”
The Hubbard family finds compassion in their greatest time of need. Their colleagues and the Southgate Goodfellows donated toys, clothes and backpacks for the children.
Firefighters and hotel owner Tom Gasso housed the family for the first few nights after the fire. Later, the Red Cross, then the family’s insurance company, paid for their accommodation.
“What better time to help people than in (their) desperate time of need,” said Gasso, owner of the Wyndham Garden Hotel.
Terecia says she appreciates the support they are getting. She and her husband are normally the deliverers – now they are the recipients and they have a long way to go.
“I’m grateful (for the help) but I’m sad because I’ve been married for 15 years,” she said. “We’ve been building for so many years and it’s all gone (a split second), and it’s taken us so long to get to where we were.”
This family is currently living in an extended stay hotel. They will probably be there for a while. Terecia said their insurance company said the fire was so severe it could take at least a year to settle the claim.
If you would like to donate to help the family, they are on Venmo, @Terecia78.