Citi Premier Card $ 100 Resort Credit Benefit Details
The Citi Premier® Card is a phenomenal credit card. The card offers many benefits, and one of the often overlooked benefits is the $ 100 annual hotel credit. In this article, I wanted to take a closer look at how it works.
Why you should consider the Citi Premier Card
There are many reasons why you should consider the $ 95 per year Citi Premier card. Among others:
- The card offers well-rounded bonus categories and offers 3x points on restaurants, gas stations, groceries, plane tickets and hotels
- The card offers an incredible welcome bonus, the best ever, of 80,000 Thank You Points after spending minimal.
- The card allows you to maximize the value you can get from other Citi cards, like the Citi® Double Cash card with no annual fee (review), which I consider to be the best card for daily spending with no bonus
These are just a few of the card perks that I like the most, although you can read a full Citi Premier card review here. In this article, I wanted to focus on the card’s annual $ 100 hotel credit, which a lot of people don’t know about.
What is the Citi Premier $ 100 Hotel Credit?
With annual savings of $ 100 on Citi Premier Card hotels, you can enjoy $ 100 off a single hotel stay of $ 500 or more. As you might expect, there are some terms you should know:
- You must book your hotel online at Thankyou.com, or by phone at 1-800-THANKYOU
- This benefit is available once per calendar year
- The reservation must be made by the primary cardholder, although the stay may be for the primary cardholder or an authorized user
- You must spend at least $ 500 for a single hotel stay, excluding taxes and fees, to trigger the $ 100 savings
- You must prepay your entire stay with your Citi Premier card, ThankYou points, or a combination of both
- If you cancel a reservation for which you used the $ 100 Resort Credit, the benefit will remain available for the same calendar year.
- Flat rates, including airplane and hotel packages, or hotel and car rental packages, do not qualify for this benefit.
- The $ 100 resort credit cannot be combined with any other promotion or discount on merci.com
- If you own both the Citi Premier and the Citi Prestige, you cannot accumulate the $ 100 Resort Credit on the first with the fourth night free on the second.
How do I use the Citi Premier $ 100 hotel credit?
The easiest way to use this benefit is to use the Thankyou.com site. Log in to the account associated with your Citi Premier card. Once on the hotel reservation page, a window will appear asking if you would like to use your $ 100 resort credit.
You can then search for any hotel of your choice, and assuming you’ve chosen to use the credit, the $ 100 discount will automatically be applied during the booking process (make sure you see this before confirming your reservation). It is so easy!
What’s wrong with the Citi Premier $ 100 hotel credit?
The benefit of using the Citi Premier Card’s $ 100 hotel credit is pretty obvious – if you spent exactly $ 500 on a hotel stay (before taxes), you could save 20%. It’s awesome. There are, however, a few potential drawbacks, which are worth keeping in mind and being strategic:
- The Citi ThankYou travel booking portal is considered an online travel agency. Therefore, if you stay at a hotel chain, you generally will not earn points or receive elite benefits on those stays.
- You can find cheaper rates for a hotel on other websites; for example, large hotel groups often have member-only rates, and you usually won’t be able to book them through Citi ThankYou
- If you are staying at a luxury hotel you may be able to get additional perks from programs like Virtuoso or Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts, which you cannot combine with these savings, so keep that opportunity cost in there. ‘spirit
I absolutely think this credit has value, although I also think it’s important to be strategic about how you use it. When using the Citi Premier $ 100 Hotel Credit Benefit, I recommend:
- Booking a hotel stay as close as possible to $ 500 (without falling below)
- Use it in an independent hotel or in a hotel where you forfeit at least points or benefits by booking through a third party
- Use it in a hotel where the price difference between the Citi ThankYou rate and the best available rate you can find online is the smallest
Most Citi Premier cardholders should be able to find value with this perk, although it is worth being strategic.
How does it compare to Chase Sapphire Preferred Resort Credit?
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® card (evaluation) is a competitor to the Citi Premier card. There are plenty of reasons to consider this card too, ranging from a huge 100,000 point welcome bonus to valuable bonus categories.
It’s also worth noting that the Chase Sapphire Preferred recently added an annual hotel credit of $ 50. How does it compare?
- The credit is $ 50 instead of $ 100, but it has the advantage of not having a minimum amount of stay; in other words, you could save $ 50 off a $ 50 hotel stay
- Credit is per cardholder year, rather than per calendar year
Which of the two credits is more valuable really depends on your hotel habits. Some may prefer the larger discount of the Citi Premier, while others may prefer the lower minimum of the Chase Sapphire Preferred. Personally, I think the Chase Sapphire Preferred Resort Credit is better given the lower spending requirements.
At the end of the line
The Citi Premier Card is a great card with a huge welcome bonus and useful bonus categories for spending. On top of that, the card offers an often overlooked annual hotel credit of $ 100, which can be applied to a hotel reservation of $ 500 and over made with Citi ThankYou.
While there are certain terms associated with it, and although there may be an opportunity cost in using it, it is still a valuable benefit that you should keep in mind. Saving up to 20% on a hotel stay can be good value for money.
If you own the Citi Premier, have you used the $ 100 hotel benefit? If so, what was your experience?